Tuesday, March 20, 2012

After long last, it's here: 5 GUYS FOREVER!

If you went to GWU and never hit 5 guys burgers, shame on you.
If you still live on the east coast and have not tried 5 guys burgers, shame on you.
If you live in the Bay Area and haven't made the trek out of SF to 5 guys, you better after you read this!
I remember my first guys experience in Arlington, VA like it was only 10 years ago... A hole in the wall looking place, peanut shells everywhere, and the smell of delicious greasy burgers staining the walls. Little did I know this was the future of fast food burgers, the standard bearer for all burgers to come(Yeah Obama, you are so 10 years behind).
In the past year, 5 guys started to appear in the Bay Area, and my feelings were ambivalent. Why would I be ambivalent about the best burger ever. Probably because 5 years ago I asked a college acquaintance who worked for 5 guys about the Bay Area franchises, and they had not offered them up yet. AND I FORGOT TO FOLLOW UP! I could be the 6th guy! The Bay Area Bro. But alas, I will settle for tasty burgers any time I leave SF.
So why have I been telling everyone I know in the bay area that this place makes In n Out look like some backwards Mormon missionary idea, its the quality really!
When you walk in, you are surrounded by boxes of fresh Idaho Potatoes, destined to be peeled, fried, and swallowed. That's fresh. Not some frozen french fry, but fresh.
Ordering is easy. Get a bacon cheese burger. That is 2 patties. The junior is just 1. Be a man, eat big! I go ALL THE WAY with my burgers, and add jalapenos, because I AM A MAN! But I hold the mustard. Mustard is for hot dogs. And then they call out "2 more patties" which means cook me 2 FRESH, NOT FROZEN, NOT STEAMED, but FRESH grilled burgers, on a flat top, so they grill in all that tasty meat fat. YES! The burger comes out wrapped in foil to keep it warm, and helps with eating because it gets messy when you go ALL THE WAY! Onions, mushrooms, and everything else! FRESH! FRESH FAST FOOD!
And french fries. I already said they are fresh. But they are also thick. Not weird your mom cooked these in the oven thick steak fries, but boardwalk style thick. Thick enough that you can actually taste the potato inside, but double fried so the exterior has a nice crunch and beautiful brown color. And in the tradition of boardwalk fries, they have Heinz malt vinegar available to you. If you haven't put malt vinegar on your fries, you are probably from the west coast, or dumb. some Vinegar, and dunk in your ketchup, and OH YA! French Fry heaven. And no ranch sauce anywhere you silly west coasters(That means you Derek!)
And of course, when the line is long, and you are waiting for your food, they give you snacks, in the form of fresh roasted peanuts. Grab a handful and munch away, everyone else is!
So for those of you who forsake fast food, I beg you try this place out, but only when I am not there, cause the line at lunch in San Jose is out of the door!
Until my next gut wrenching experience, 5 guys for LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment