Monday, June 15, 2015

Reinventing the Fast Food Dude

So my parents were here this past week, and if you know my old man, you know he is full of ideas and opinions, kinda like me.

So on Friday I took a half day to meet them for lunch and hang out for the afternoon. My mom had been thinking about fish n chips, and they are staying by Fisherman's wharf, so I said I've got just the place.

Now, for those of you who live in San Francisco can attest, if you live in San Francisco, you don't normally head down to the wharf. But, I'm hear to rectify that. Because being the lover of food that I am, and having worked in the biz, I know a thing or 2. And 1 think I know is that if you want fish n chips in San Francisco, you have to go to the Codmother. This food truck-esque stand is located right at the end of the F train. Owned and run by Suzanne, a fantastically funny and nice English lass, the employees are always smiling while peeling and frying those chips and fish.

We roll up on a sunny summer day in the city(yes, it was sunny in June!). Suzanne came out to say hi and we ordered up 2 platters, 1 of fish n chips and one combo with fish and shrimp. Got the local's hookup and then chatted with Suzanne about life and biz while we waited. Great news for her, she has a brand new trailer and is opening in just a few short weeks, just around the corner. Same great food, much bigger space, less HR violations as they squeeze thru the kitchen. Congrats Suzanne!

So the food comes out a couple of minutes later, and as promised, that's some finely fried cod. The fish is white and flaky, and the batter is super crisp, yet thin and light too. the perfect combo. And the chips, oh the chips. Thick cut, I assume double fried, they are super soft and moist on the inside and super crisp on the outside. About the best chips one can find, with or without the fish.

The dishes come with homemade tartar sauce, and they have malt vinegar on every table. You must have malt vinegar!

We left full and happy for a trip to the asian art museum.

Skipping ahead, after the museum, we wandered to the Twitter building and into the marketplace. Low and behold, my friend Azalina now has a "brick and mortar" location inside the market! This too is great for another food friend of mine. We had dinner plans so we committed to return over the weekend, because the menu looks incredible. My dad also had a great line which must be repeated. As we discussed how people eat, and they are always on different diets, my dad responds that rather than being on a diet, he is on a try it! HAHAHAHA! Ok, that doesn't write as funny as it was, but trust me, if you know my old man, it was funny.

Of course, at this time, my dad and I get into the conversation about how I used to blog about fast food. But of course, what is fast food these days? As McDonalds and company add more "healthy" options to their menus, and places like chipotle bring high quality ingredients, and the concept of fast casual is everywhere, the definition has blurred. From my childhood days at the Galleria with Sbarro, McDonalds and Cinnabon to my current life in San Francisco where I work across the street from the Rincon center, with the "fast food" including great korean, indian, south africa and thai food, how could I not talk about the good, and sometimes bad, food I eat all the time.

So as promised, we returned to Azalina's on Sunday for lunch. Azalina wasn't there, but her husband was. We grabbed 3 items. The Nasi Lemak is a beef curry with coconut sticky rice. Don't be afraid, this is not a spicy dish, and the crisp cucumbers on top add some cool to the dish anyway. Next was the Hokien Mee with shrimp. Why did we get this dish. Have you ever had tumeric noodles before. Me either. I love anytime a new concept is thrown at me, and this was a winner. The dish had just the right amount of spicy(which is too much for mom). Sublime flavors mixed together to create something like I had never had before. As Azalina said, it's not Malaysian food, it's her family from Malaysia's food, with influences from all over Asia mixed in.  We finished with the sticky rice dessert with coconut pudding. Really this was mom's dish, and she was kind enough to share a couple bites as she scraped away to get every last drop. Forks won't due on this dish, she had to get a spoon to get all the goodness.

So I guess I'm back, reviewing the new "fast food" and wasting time at work while I do it(maybe I should take this off my LinkedIn so my boss doesn't find out). It actually looks like I am doing important writing anyway.

So please check out the Codmother and Azalina's if you are in SF, you won't be disappointed.

PS I was not paid for these shameless plugs for friends, but maybe as I write more that will change...

No comments:

Post a Comment